Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chard and White Bean Soup

I finally finished my BTSA portfolio and now I can officially start my vacation. To kick it off I made an "end of the month" soup that was absolutely wonderful! End of the month soup consists of whatever you find in your pantry or fridge, and this one was especially delicious!

End of the month soup: White Bean and Chard

3 Large Chard Leaves with Stems (ribboned)
1 Can of White Beans
1 Package of Vegetable Broth
1 Large Leek (sliced)
3 Potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1/2 Yellow Onion (chopped)
1 Tablespoon Chopped Thyme
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Pepper

Place broth and potatoes and a pinch of salt in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. While you wait for the potatoes to cook, brown the onions and leek in a small frying pan with a bit of olive oil and salt. Once potatoes are boiling add the leek, onions, beans and thyme to the pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Once potatoes begin to soften add the chard and continue to cook until chard is wilted and potatoes are soft. Serve with toasted almonds or parmesan cheese on top! 

I hope you try this recipe because it was so delicious! I'll post photos my next big endeavor: vegan christmas dinner! 

Planned Menu:
Roasted Butternut Squash with Wild Rice Stuffing
Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Winter Root Vegetables
Yeast Rolls
Mixed Greens 
Butternut Squash and Honey Pie


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who has chard and leeks as LEFTOVERS?

Anonymous said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of Christmas vegan dinner. How'd things turn out? Must show pictures!